Thursday 15 August 2013

Back to reality

I've been shamefully neglecting my blog this summer. I have a lot of projects on the go, but can't seem to actually bring myself to finish any of them. Work has been busy, we've been spending a fair amount of time at the cottage, and I've been feeling generally lazy. Hopefully come September I'll become infected with the back-to-school spirit and get my butt in gear.

I did start tackling a major chore this week - cleaning out the spare room on the third floor. We still had piles o' junk up there that hadn't been sorted since the big reno. In reality, since we've managed to live without the stuff for the past year, I probably should have just rented a giant dumpster and pitched most of it out through the window. But I couldn't quite bring myself to do that.

There is a fair amount of useful stuff, like all of my sewing supplies. My plan, along with clearing the bed and floor so that actual guests can use this room, is to get my sewing machine and serger set up so I can work up there and don't have to drag them down to the dining room table.

While organizing my sewing supplies I remembered that I had a basket that I started refinishing in the spring. It's an apple basket, and although I loved the shape and the hinged lid, when I bought it it looked like this.


I was not in love with the teddy bears on top. In fact, it's safe to say that they made me shudder in horror. So I set to work with some stripper. Unfortunately, although the paint all came off, I was left with this


I tried sanding, but I just couldn't get the ghost marks out of the wood. I gave up in frustration, but decided last night that I would  paint the top and be done with it. I had some very pale green paint left over from the mural I painted in Matthew's room when he moved out of the nursery when Cal was born, and I slapped a couple of coats on.


I'm happy with the subtle colour as it makes the lid blend in. It's at least 10,000 times better than the old teddy bears. Sadly, while I was distracted by this fun and easy task the giant junk pile didn't finish cleaning itself up.

Ah well, maybe I'll find the energy to finish that tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...