Wednesday 22 May 2013

New dining table

I've been (not so) patiently stalking Kijiji, Craigslist, and the neighbourhood antique stores in hopes of finding a new dining table. While our old Duncan Phyfe table fit well into our previous tiny dining area, it looked really small and insignificant in the new open space.


And at only 36" across, it didn't actually provide enough space for comfortable dining for greater than four people. And even with only four of us, we didn't have room on the table for serving dishes.

Since we eat dinner as a family in the dining room every day and we like to entertain, a new table was high on my list of priorities.

The shape of the dining room with the bay window in it was just begging for an oval table. It turns out they're not so easy to find. Finally, a couple of weeks ago I found one on kijiji for sale just around the corner from us. 



The new table is 52" across and has four 11" leaves. It opens up to 96" and can comfortably seat 10 people. Much better than our old table, which could just barely fit place settings for six. Two of the four leaves have the apron on them, so the table can be opened to 74" without using a tablecloth. For everyday use we just leave one in it.

I love the detail of the three legs on each end, and the wide apron gives it much-needed weight in the big open room. 


I was lucky and our old dining chairs match the colour of the table quite well. I'm still stalking antique stores and Craigslist though, because I have a bit of an obsession with balloon back chairs right now. I'd love to find a set to go along with our new table. 


Boy, I need to get to work and make some shades for those long, empty windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...