Sunday 24 February 2013

Terrariums

I have a bit of an obsession with terrariums. There are so many styles, ranging from huge enclosed complex ecosystems that never need to be watered to small and whimsical in glass jars.


I'm really drawn to the small and whimsical made with succulents. The fact that I appear to be genetically defective in the gene that allows you to keep houseplants alive may or may not have something to do with this. Succulents seem to be almost indestructible, and very forgiving of neglect in the watering department.

Since I love them so much, I naturally assumed that the female members of my family would too and made some as Christmas presents this year. I also made one for myself to put on the window ledge behind my kitchen sink. They're really simple to put together.

I picked up some apothecary jars from HomeSense and some succulents from a local shop. They didn't have a very big selection, but they had a few different types to add some interest.



I also bought some rocks of different sizes. The larger ones I got at the dollar store, and the small black pebbles came from an aquarium supply store. I layered them in the jar, starting with the largest on the bottom and worked my way up through the progressively smaller stones.



I picked up some Hermit Crab Sand for a very fine layer just below the soil, and I also mixed it in with the soil to make it a little lighter for the succulents. Alternately, you can buy soil made for succulents and cacti.


It's been a couple of months since I put my terrarium together, and the plants are still alive! It was a fun and easy project, and a great way to spend a cold winter afternoon with my boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...